Saturday, October 25, 2014

Ridiculously Ramtastic PD

It has been a very long time since I have been so thoroughly inspired by a single day of PD.  So often during these sessions I feel like that kid. You know....the one in the back that is having trouble focusing and would much rather be checking my twitter feed, watching a bootleg of "The Book of Mormon," or reading my favorite YA novel for the 842nd time.

Not. This. Time.

All of the videos and ideas were engaging and I felt rather proud of myself when I realized, "Hey, some things I do are similar to this guy!  And he has 2 million people following him and reading his blog!" However the one that truly stuck out to me was the 20 Time/Genius Hour.  Students in charge of their own learning? Students researching and connecting with experts in the field?  Students truly engaging in topics and ideas they are passionate about?  How stinkin' exciting is that!?

I know that upon rolling this out, and saying to students, parents, and colleagues that, in essence, I am not "teaching" on Fridays, I will have those that challenge the idea of 20 Time.  However, by allowing students to find their passion--to "climb their mountain"--we are increasing their engagement exponentially.  Beyond just increasing engagement, students will be reading, writing, researching, reflecting, problem solving, networking, and dreaming. CC Standards met? Check.  College and Career Readiness concepts met? Check.

I became a teacher to help students achieve their dreams.  I became a teacher to inspire my students to fly. Allowing them to engage in 20 Time is simply providing them a better set of wings, and I can't wait to watch them soar!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sad I had to leave early! Nick is wonderful and I can't wait to learn more from him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to subscribe via email. Can you add that gadget?

    ReplyDelete